Information for Poultry Growers and Firms
The Packers and Stockyards Program (P&SP) ensures open and competitive markets for livestock, meat, and poultry. P&SP is a regulatory program whose roots are in providing financial protection, and ensuring fair and competitive markets.
In the words of the Congress, the purpose of the P&S Act is "to assure fair competition and fair trade practices, to safeguard farmers and ranchers...to protect consumers...and to protect members of the livestock, meat, and poultry industries from unfair, deceptive, unjustly discriminatory and monopolistic practices..."
- Live Poultry Growers' and Sellers' Rights Under the P&S Trust Provisions (PDF; 235Kb)
- Responsibility for Accurate Scales and Live poultry Weights (PDF; 247Kb)
- Responsibilities Under the Act: Live Poultry Dealer
Final Rule: Poultry Contracts; Initiation, Performance, and Termination (12/2/2009)(PDF; 70Kb)
- USDA News Release (PDF; 22Kb)
- Outline of Final Rule (PDF; 16Kb)
- Final Rule: Questions and Answers (PDF; 42Kb)
For assistance with complaints or questions about the Packers and Stockyards Act, contact the Packers and Stockyards Program Regional Office that serves your state.