Federal Grain Inspection Service (FGIS)
U.S. grain, rice, and other commodities flow from farm to elevator to destinations around the world. GIPSA's Federal Grain Inspection Service (FGIS) helps move our Nation's harvest into the marketplace by providing farmers, handlers, processors, exporters, and international buyers with sampling, inspection, process verification, weighing and stowage examination services that accurately and consistently describe the quality and quantity of the commodities being bought and sold.
We facilitate the marketing of U.S. grain and related agricultural products by establishing standards for quality assessments, regulating handling practices, and managing a network of Federal, State, and private laboratories that provide impartial, user fee funded official inspection and weighing services.
GIPSA offers a variety of programs and services that help market U.S. grain.
We provide farmers, handlers, processors, exporters, and international buyers with information and tools that accurately and consistently describe the quality and quantity of the grain and commodities being bought and sold.
- Provide the market with terms and methods for quality assessments. The Official U.S. Standards for Grain are used each and every day by sellers and buyers around the world to communicate the type and quality of grain bought and sold. Our standard testing methodologies accurately and consistently measure grain quality.
- Provide traditional and innovative inspection and weighing services to the traditional bulk and specialty commodity markets.
- Manage the national inspection and weighing system, a unique network of Federal, State, and private laboratories that provide impartial, user fee funded official inspection and weighing services.
- Provide international services and outreach programs that keep America's grain flowing to our international customers.
- Protect the integrity of the official inspection system and the market at large to ensure markets for grain and related products are fair, transparent, and free from deceptive and fraudulent practices.
You can rely on GIPSA's programs and services. We are committed to continuously improving customer service to all segments of the market, from farmers, grain handlers, processors, and exporters to international buyers, to best facilitate the marketing of U.S. grain.
is a portfolio of online business applications that will change the way FGIS does business, and bring official inspection and weighing to the desktop. These online business services will improve internal business operations and better serve the customers of the official grain inspection and weighing service.
The Grain Inspection Advisory Committee meets twice annually to advise GIPSA on the programs and services it delivers under the U.S. Grain Standards Act. Recommendations by the committee help GIPSA to better meet the needs of its customers who operate in a dynamic and changing marketplace.
- Educational Materials
- Grain Grading Study Questions
- Technical Training
- Commodity Image Gallery
- Inspector Standardization
- FGIS Forms
- U.S. Grain Exports: Quality Report
- Annual Reports