- Approved Equipment List A (PDF; 22KB) - Active Commercially Available Items
- Approved Equipment List B (PDF; 25KB) - InActive Items, but OK for use
Implementation of the Unified Grain Moisture Algorithm (UGMA)-based technology is an important step for the Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration (GIPSA), Federal Grain Inspection Service (FGIS) in achieving its primary objective under the U.S. Grain Standards Act to 'certify the quality of grain as accurately as practical' as well as provide accurate information on storability, economic value and product yield. (7 U.S.C. Sec. 74(b)(2) and (b)(3)(B), (C), and (E)). Moisture meters are used to determine the amount of moisture within grain presented for sale, a critical assessment of quality that affects the value and storability of the grain. GIPSA conducted research for refining moisture measurement of grain with the intention of replacing the Grain Analysis Computer (GAC 2100). To do so, GIPSA developed the UGMA. The new UGMA-based instruments measure moisture in grain much more accurately. Consequently, the Grain Inspection Advisory Committee (GIAC), representatives of the grain marketing industry who advise GIPSA on program issues, recommended that GIPSA implement the new technology, and recommended its implementation be accelerated by a year.
The implementation of the new UGMA moisture meters for Official tests of corn, soybeans, sorghum, and sunflower occurred September 10, 2012. The Perten AM 5200-A and the DICKEY-JOHN GAC 2500-UGMA replaced the DICKEY-JOHN GAC 2100 as the approved moisture meter models for those grains. The conversion to the use of UGMA-Compatible moisture meters was completed on May 1, 2013, with all officially-inspected grains and commodities switched to the UGMA-Compatible moisture meters. As of May 1, 2013, the GAC 2100 is no longer approved for official inspection of any grain or commodity.
GIPSA has provided some Frequently Asked Questions (Updated 05/12/2014) (PDF; 62Kb) about the UGMA-Compatible moisture meters.
Official Moisture Meters for All Officially-Inspected Grains and Commodities
- DICKEY-JOHN GAC 2500-UGMA
- Perten AM 5200-A
Official Moisture Calibrations
- Official Moisture Calibration Directive (08/01/2014) (PDF; 98Kb)
- Download all official moisture calibration files for DICKEY-JOHN GAC 2500-UGMA (07/28/2014) (ZIP; 867Kb) " New Version "
- Official calibration installation instructions for DICKEY-JOHN GAC 2500-UGMA (PDF; 834Kb) " New Version "
- Official moisture calibrations for the Perten AM5200-A will be sent to each official test site by Perten Instruments preloaded on a USB drive that includes a required software update. All other interested parties should contact Perten Instruments directly for the software update and August 1 official calibrations. " New Process "
- Official calibration installation instructions for Perten AM 5200-A (07/28/2014) (PDF; 837Kb) " New Version "
- Plots and statistics
- UGMA moisture meter accuracy for officially inspected grains and commodities (07/28/2014)(PDF; 227Kb) " New Version "
- Explanatory Notes for August 1, 2014 Official Moisture Calibration Updates (PDF; 104Kb) " New "
Official Moisture Meter Checktest Procedures
- UGMA-Compatible Moisture Meter Checktesting Procedures, Attachments A and B (07/25/2014) (PDF; 219KB) " New Version "
- UGMA-Compatible Moisture Meter Checktesting Procedures, Attachment C (07/25/2014) (XLS; 114KB) " New Version "
Technical Reference Materials
- UGMA Criteria Document (PDF; 127KB)
- UGMA Criteria Attachment A (PDF; 149KB)
- UGMA Recipe Book (Updated 05-01-2013) (PDF; 1,721KB)
- UGMA Technology Overview - NAEGA-GIPSA Regional Meeting 4-24-2012 (PDF; 514Kb)
- Scientific Publications
- UGMA First Research Report (GIPSA 2001) (PDF; 2070KB)
- UGMA Development Overview (IQGC 2004) (PDF; 587KB)
- UGMA Unified Parameter Development (IQGC 2004) (PDF; 3765KB)
- UGMA Development Report 2006 (MST 2006) (PDF; 1234KB)
- UGMA Effects of Test Cell Loading Methods (ISEMA 2011) (PDF; 2542KB)
- UGMA Secondary Density Correction (ISEMA 2011) (PDF; 264KB)